Monday, April 28, 2014

I'm beginning to think pen and ink isn't such a bad idea.

Just finished re-correcting my first book for the fifth time. Blinkety-blank Libre Office was de-correcting the manuscript.  So now the finer points of punctuation and the occasional 'to' instead of 'too' should be correct. It gets a little frustrating to correct the same error several times over. Mind you I used Word, so I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed; not to mention burning a joss stick and praying ten "hail Gutenbergs" while I'm at it.

I'll port the fixes to the hard copy soon, but the new kindle version has an index, no hard-coded page numbers, and as far as I can see none of the ' "ipsem lorem".' errors that were driving me wild.

This really is a problem, Libre Office seems to choke above 40,000 - 50,000 words in terms of keeping track of corrections. (I was saving quite often). My best friend is also writing a book. She's using word and running into issues where the cut/replace and similar mundane operations choke on her book.

I've heard good things about scribus, but it doesn't run on Linux. I'm rather fond of Tux so that is a bit of a non-starter.

Any Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment